Saturday, March 12, 2011

now that I'm a "regular"

When I first joined the gym, I didn't feel like I belonged there. I felt really self conscious the whole time. I noticed what everyone around me looked like and wore.

Now, I could *almost* care less, but there are a few things that I seem to still take note of, every time.

1. the naked ladies in the locker room after the swimming group class. just can't quite get used to it.
2. the girl who wears the "kiss this" tank top almost every time she works out. so glad my daughter already knows what's "not appropriate."
3. the former Omaha police chief works out there every sunday afternoon. i still think it's cool every time I see him in real life instead of on the news.
4. girls who run with no shirts on. and now I'd like to make a few very immature comments:
a) put a FREAKING SHIRT ON.
b) you probably think you're so "hot" you don't have to wear a shirt, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that you still have jiggly parts in your back when you run, but you probably don't think they're there. that does NOT, however, mean that I want to see them.
c) put a FREAKING SHIRT ON.


and now a quick update on my health since I started working out:

I have weigh ins every month. the first month I lost ZERO pounds and went UP in body fat percentage. sa-weet. the funniest part is that right after Christmas I lost like 5 pounds, really fast. and then apparently I gained them back really fast too. but anyway, losing weight isn't my main goal (even though she put a big -15 POUNDS on the top of my charts). I said I want to feel better, stronger, more in control of my life. and I do. and if I use my imagination, I think I just might look a bit better too. :)

the second month, when my kids were sick a lot and I went in much less frequently, I lost a couple pounds, and lost inches (ok, not WHOLE inches, but still...) in every area that's measured. not sure how I pulled that off by working out less.

my trainer is trying to get me to sign up for more sessions, since I'm about to move from once a week to every other week. My income has dropped significantly in the last couple months (one less daycare family) so it's really easy to say no. but man...they sure try to get ya!

and as far as eating goes, I have been trying overall to just make healthier choices. because I have a bit of cooking anxiety, however, this is a HUGE challenge for me. new things take me FOREVER to make, and nothing really comes naturally for me.

PLUS, I've just never been the kind of girl who is willing to sacrifice a whole lot when it comes to good food. for example, a couple weeks ago, I forget what was going on, but we were out and running errands and I didn't have a plan for supper and it was already late. So, I got the kids burgers from Burger King on the way home. I had to convince and re-convince myself over and over again to not order one for myself. and I won! I drove away without a burger for me. only here's the thing: I was PISSED. really. I guess I really really wanted a burger that night, and I convinced myself that I shouldn't get one. Most often I would say WELL DONE ANDREA, but instead i was like, "this is NOT who I am! I am NOT the girl who is so concerned with my looks (because in that moment it was not about "health" it was about "fat") that I don't let myself get a burger the few times I actually really want one. all in moderation is my motto and I wanted a freaking burger!" So guess what I did? I called my sweet husband who was on his way home from work and told him to get me a burger. and guess what that sweet husband did? held his ground. he was proud of me. punk. so he didnt' get me a burger. he came home and ate something else with me. I don't even remember what it was because all I could think about was that I wasn't eating a burger.

So anyway, I know I've got a long way to go.

I'm signing up for the 5K at Tulip Festival this year. I figure maybe that will help me make sure I don't skip my running after doing my workouts. I ran it a couple years ago with almost not training, so hopefully I'll be okay.

alright. there's my update. aren't you so glad you know all that?

3 comments:

Joel said...

The girls that run with no shirts on is why I go to the gym! :)

Becky said...

I have a few "favorite" people of my own:) Good for you for getting back at it.

*Amy said...

Oh Andrea... you hit the nail on the head PERFECTLY with the gym! I am soooo in your same shoes every time I go also/the trainer/more sessions/pounds to lose/etc. But stick to your guns & now you've become 'the regular', those girls have nothing on you! And good luck with the 5K! Train on pavement & plenty of strength training to prevent a stress fracture! (that was me in October). The 5K was the most exciting & fulfilling thing I've done for myself in a very long time and I can't wait to heal & do another.